Monday, June 3, 2013

anything but a baker's man.

I hate baking with my kids.
I actually just hate baking.
There are WAY too many rules.
But I like the smell of something cooking in the oven, and the thought of being a good mom (why in my head this equals a 'good mom' is beyond me), the idea of fresh cookies in the cookie jar, and the warped sense that maybe I am creating some sort of great memories for my kids.
Memories about flour on our faces, reaking of chocolate chips, laughing, and frolicking, and gayly skipping around the kitchen.
And all of the above clouds my judgement and I forget that I don't like baking.
And that I really don't like baking with kids.
And haflway through our little baking extravagannza, I remember why this is a dumb idea.
My heart starts to pound as I look around my messy kitchen covered in flour, my voice gets a little bit louder as I say for the fifteenth time 'please, don't touch that', 'we can't put that in there yet', 'you're going to spill my beer', 'JUST STOP!', and shortly thereafter I am kicking them out of the kitchen so I can 'finish up', and pounding my beer.
And, unfortunately, the only memories I am probably leaving them with is that their mom is an inpatient alcoholic, who abhors a messy kitchen, sticky hands, and who can't bake for sh*t.
But damn those cookies smell good.








8 comments:

Laurie said...

I hate baking too. But do love cookies. Such a dilemma.

Shaina said...

Great. Now you have stressed me out, I just told Emmett that we could make pumpkin muffins-from scratch. Which is the only way we can bake around here because of our damn allergies. Now I am going to have to figure out a bribe for him so we won't have too.

Sue said...

you fake it pretty good Megalina!

Bored Housewife said...

Baking is what grandmothers are for.

zaideafraidey said...

just give them the spoon and all else will be forgotten. Where did you get all of this hate.....

Katie said...

yes and yes. I second this post.

zaideafraidey said...

just wanted to add that pic of you and Hads looking at each other makes my heart smile. She looking adoringly at you...and you reflecting the same. Love it.

Jocelyn said...

maybe you'd be happier if you found some recipes that required beer. that might be a good marriage. plus, who wants to make something they don't eat? and you my dear don't eat anything of the sweet variety. i had just as fun making something out of a box when i was little as i did something from scratch. note to self.