Sunday, December 9, 2012

a little something called tradition.













My mom and Michelle met when they were practically babies.
 Only 20 years old.
My mom had a two year old.
Michelle worked at J. Jacobs.
Our dad's played college baseball together.
And our mom's did something a little more special...
they became the best of friends.
And every single year since I was born we have had the Cougan/Davis Christmas dinner.
For 35 years there is not a thing that has come between it.
Not a divorce.  Not a new baby.  Not the loss of a baby.  Not a fight.  Not a college exam.  Not a death in the family.  Not a new engagement.  Not a wedding.
Not a thing.
(except a really, really, really bad snowstorm)
This is the real deal.
These two ladies are true blue best friends.
The old fashioned way.
They talk on the phone every day.  They are honest with each other.  They know every single thing about the other.  They are each others biggest supporters.  They love the others children like their own.  They just absolutely adore each other.  
They may as well be sisters.
They may as well be married.
Thank you gals, for showing us kids what it's all about.
And that family is always what it's all about.
xoxo

6 comments:

Bree Soncrant said...

This literally gave me goosebumps. What a wonderful tradition:) I'm jealous!

Michelle said...

Oh Meg, that is the most beautiful tribute I have ever read. The day I met your mom was one of the most blessed days of my life. I received five amazing things from my 29 year marriage . . . 3 incredible children, a love of baseball and the "bestest" friend a girl could ever ask for! What more could ever want? You are the best young lady and a gifted writer!!

Michelle said...

and I am not a gifted writer . . . I meant, "What more could I ever want?"

Heidi Bruch said...

And I love both their daughters! Thanks for connecting us with the Malley's - I see Melissa at least a couple times a week- a truly truly wonderful friend. Abs and Hayds are two peas and Charlie is the nicest person ever:) xoxo

zaideafraidey said...

oh Megs, thank you for recognizing something so intangible yet so very precious. I have always adored having 3 extra kids to be proud of and love like my own. And you will always have another mother who has loved you since day one.

zaideafraidey said...

one more thing....that all of you kids honor us by making sure that you are there says alot about the wonderful people that you all are.