Monday, April 5, 2010

houston...we've got a problem.

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood, Hadley and I were getting ready to take Rudy for a run in the sunshine, but when we walked downstairs, much to our dismay, we saw Rudy on the landing...and Baby Davis was very quietly being mauled. We both screamed in horror...and quickly jumped into action (I am an ICU nurse after all, catastrophe is right up my alley). Rudy was promptly thrown in the garage, with Hadley yelling after him "You is bad dog Ru Ru. You WALK AWAY!" We found baby D's thumb, immediately put it on ice, and took her with us on our run, as she was looking a little pale with the gram or so of stuffing she lost. It was pretty touch and go for awhile...but she slowly moved from critical to serious to stable condition as the night progressed. The next morning she was taken to a highly recommended plastic surgeon, one of the best in the area. After surgery, she was prescribed some meds for the pain, and Hadley was given discharge instructions about how to change her dressing, keep her thumb safe from infection, when to take her sling off, etc. In the end...she made it (she's on life #3 for those counting). So now she is blind (Desitin debacle), scarred (emotionally), and no longer a 'righty', but thanks to the ADA, we get to park right up front whenever we take her with us on errands.

*pretty sure in EVERY parenting advice column ever written it says to never, under any circumstances, pretend that candy is medicine. My mom is old school...she doesn't read those column's...or care for that matter. Hadley's first accidental O.D. is all on her.

Her surgeon even sent a get well card. Now that's seriously going above and beyond.

22 comments:

Susie said...

Brilliant.

fiona westover said...

I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU. I know that might be a little extreme but nobody can make me laugh the way you do, Meg. I think that laughter is the most important part of a relationship, so, Meg, I declare my love for you.
Steve's out, he doesn't drink coffee, he doesn't appreciate my cute coats, and I think he is starting to like fancy drinks like sidecars over beer.
Please check the box "yes" if you like me too.

Meg said...

Twist my arm....OKAY, I'm checking yes. But lets not hate on Steve for liking sidecars over beer...that's just a sneaky way to get double the alcohol. Brillant I say. I'll move in with you, should be easier on all the kids. Then Ryan and Steve can ride their gay little bikes until their pedals fall off.

Maria said...

Poor baby davis. so hilarious meg! miss you two!
so now that were back and over the GI bug that took over the house lets get together so you can make us laugh some more.
m and the girls

Katie said...

seriously the cutest thing ever... Poor baby Davis, she has had a rough go of it so far. and i totally love that gramma Zaide made her a rx bottle, that is just classic Zaide. nothing 1/2 way. :)

Laurie said...

thank god for Ostroms Drugs or Baby Davis would be a goner for sure. I think this child is headed for CPS and/or a crisis nursery though.

zaideafraidey said...

if baby Davis follows along the lines of her cousins, the Longinottis, she will def be seeing much more of the ER, oh yeah if she follows her gma Meg she will be there too! Love that I could help, and Hads was so darling serious about BD's care.

... said...

wait? is this the second attack on baby davis? I remember you talking about baby davis losing his thumb a few weeks ago? You might need CPS called on Rudy...
Is your mom a pharmacist? How did she get those cute labels?

Heidi Bruch said...

This is the cutest story ever. And seeing how much I love Charlie dog right now, he probably would not have lived. So glad you will have photos and memories of this forever.

katy said...

LOVE this post! LOVE the medicine bottle, the sling, the stitches, the story. (Way to go BZ!)

Jocelyn said...

you are a constant riot.

Lis said...

Poor Baby Davis and Rudy. What happened to the $40 chew toy? Oh wait, I guess he found a new one. :-)

Megan, Ryan, Addi & Brady said...

**blog stalker alert** Ok, so I don't know you, but think you are so hilarious and a fantastic mama to your Hadley! Love your story and all that you did to keep Baby Davis alive. Now please, don't go making your blog private because I came out! I'm nice. And normal. Promise.

Oh and I have a little giant at home too...she and Hadley might just be playing basketball against each other in the next few years ;)

Nice to meet you...sort of...

Brooke said...

Your life is a sitcom, one I enjoy reading. Maybe too much. That medicine bottle - amazing. I mean, you treat baby davis better than I treat my own son. I have a feeling Hadley is going to get a lot of A's on her school projects. So creative you ladies are.

Laurie said...

Zaide is the brains behind Ostrom's pharmacy dept (so called 'assistant', tho in reality she is the chief I'm sure), so she can make labels w/o the FDA getting called in. And agreed, BD is doomed to spend a LOT of time in the ER. BTW can I just say that Zaide is my little sister and she is AMAZING! I want her to be my Zaide and send me prescription bottles of chocolate!

zaideafraidey said...

I love you L-Dine.

heather said...

BZ is the BEST!! XOXO oh, and I love that you have a blog stalker w/ the same names!! Megan & Ryan - awesome.

Kirsten said...

You are unbelievable! I wish you were my mom :>) You are so creative!

Bored Housewife said...

that is about the cutest thing I've ever read.

Sue said...

be sure to get the Mederma for scarring - even though it kinda looks like it was put on upside-down . . .

Unknown said...

Oh Hads, I love you and your little accident-prone baby. And Megs and Zaide, I love that you went all out to save Baby Davis. The RX bottle is the greatest thing EVER. And blog-stalker Megan, I think you just made my cousin's year!

Julie said...

Hilarious!