Monday, October 7, 2013

too cool.

I dropped Hads off at school today, and she strutted away from me right when we went through the gate, no 'good-bye', no 'thanks for the ride', no 'see ya when I see ya.'
This MIGHT not bother me, but every morning, since the start of school, I have pleaded with her to just let me drop her off without having to get all of us out of the car and walk her to the playground before school starts.
And this means without getting Carson out of the car, without the other moms seeing me portrayed as a homeless woman in smelly gym clothes, without tearing Carson off the playground equipment, without attempting to get Carson back to the car without losing his mind, without losing mine as well while his body turns to complete Jello, and without getting me to my boot camp class 10 minutes late.
She will have nothing to do with it.  She wants me to walk into school with her until she sees a friend or two, and then I am free to leave.
With Carson kicking and screaming all the way back.
But today...she was too cool.
And I wasn't having it.
So after she ignored me, and pretended that she didn't know Carson, I gave her one last chance to make things right.  
She held strong to the silent treatment.
So, I tackled her by the swings, kissed and hugged the hell out of her, all the while yelling I LOVE YOU HADLEY PRENTICE and I'LL MISS YOU SO MUCH and DON'T FORGET TO WIPE!!!
As soon as I let her free, she quickly dusts the sawdust off her pants, rolls her eyes, and says to her girlfriend...
"This is why I wished I took the bus."
God, just when I think I couldn't love her anymore.
But Hads, don't you dare ignore me again.
This was nothing.

11 comments:

Laurie said...

Hahaha love this whole scenario. Oh Hads, you are in for it. Your life will be one big eye roll.

Sue said...

She is a Tater Clone - that girl hasn't given me a kiss or a hug in the Kiss & Go line for 5 years!

A.B. said...

Better now than when she is 13. keep up the boot camp. I feel like your little one may give you a run for your money.

Meghan said...

DONT FORGET TO WIPE! You kill me. Just you wait my friend.

zaideafraidey said...

Hads job at my house is to put out the new toiler paper roll on the tp man when it is empty, she has been doing this since she was 3. Yesterday I reminded her of said job as the man had no tp. She quickly responded "Zaids aren't I getting a little old for that job?" I retorted it was her job until she found a replacement. She exited the bathroom yelling "carson come here I need to teach you something.."

Laurie said...

She's a caution. And too smart for her own good. Mama and daddy, remember that when she asks to go to Mexico for her senior trip!

fiona westover said...

You guys are the funniest little Family Sitcom ever. Miss Jane's witty sarcasm is inescapable with you and Ry as her models. She's just getting better and better at it.

Jocelyn said...

is she wearing a sweatband?

Liz said...

You are super Mom. And embarrassment is your super power. I love it.

Nicole said...

This post makes me so happy.
Miss you.

zaideafraidey said...

are you posting "old" posts again?