Thursday, January 10, 2013

lucky #9.


Ryan Prentice.
I still remember hearing about you for the first time.
The year was 1992, and I was in eighth grade.  I remember I was sitting in the bleachers at Jocelyn's brother's baseball game.  Go Microdisk!  She was telling me about a girlfriend of hers, and was talking about this guy that the gal was dating.
He was a football player, was super cute, and his name was Ryan Prentice. 
In ninth grade I remember all my boy-crazy soccer girlfriends talking incessantly about three Leota guys.
Pat Conniff, Brian Kerston and...Ryan Prentice.
In tenth and eleventh grade I remember the Woodinville Falcons running all over the Bothell Cougars on the football field.  And one of those 'runners', was, non-other than, running back, #1 Ryan Prentice.
Our senior year, I remember seeing you on the front page of the Northshore Citizen.  You were holding a football helmet with two of your teammates.  And I remember thinking...'wow, Ryan Prentice sure is cute'.
At the end of our senior year we both went on a trip to Mazatlan, Mexico with our closest friends.
I have no idea what either of our parents were thinking...but i am sure glad that they weren't.
Because, finally in 1997, at 2am in the pool at the Hotel Del Playa I met Ryan Prentice.
We hit it off immediately and literally talked into the next day.
That evening we met for drinks at Senor Frogs, you bought my dinner at The Shrimp Bucket, and we danced the night away at a foam party at El Squid Roe.
Our week in Mexico had all the romance of a Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks film.
Okay...maybe more like 'Real World' or 'Teen Mom'.
We dated that summer.  You drove your red Ford Escort GT over to my house almost daily, after you were done toting paint around at Sherwin Williams.  BJ lived in my folks upstairs. I spilled salad all over the table at your folks.
It was true-blue puppy love.
And then we went off to college.  And stopped talking for awhile.  Because who really wants a boy/girlfriend when they head off to college.
(not Ryan Prentice...that's for sure).
But we always kept in touch.
Always.
Whether I was pranking your parents house to get your Ellensburg digits (sorry Cindy), whether Joc and Jenn and I were visiting you at CWU, whether you were ditching me at a frat party at WSU and I was writing in my journal that I would never, ever talk to Ryan Prentice again...we were always connected.
And, finally, our senior year of college...we reconnected for good.
I still remember coming home from class and my roommate telling me, 'there's a message on the answering machine for you from Ryan Prentice.'
My insides would do somersaults as I hit play.
I still remember sitting in the computer lab and hoping with all my heart, right before I clicked on my 'in box', that there would be an email from Ryan Prentice.
And the butterflies I got when there was.
In 2001, we both graduated, we both moved home, and we have been inseparable ever since.
It's hard to remember a time in my life when I don't remember Ryan Prentice.
It's hard to think of a time in my life when I wasn't consumed with Ryan Prentice.
It's hard to think of a time in my life when Ryan Prentice wasn't the best part of my day.
It's impossible to think of a time in my life when I didn't love Ryan Prentice.
I first heard your name 21 years ago.
I first met you 16 years ago.
And I married you 9 years ago.
For people that don't believe in soul mates...
well, they've never met us.
And I thank you for being mine, Ryan Prentice.
xoxo

photos courtesy of jocelynkbrownphotography.com

20 comments:

Sue said...

so cute - kismet I tell ya!

A.B. said...

The first rule of Ryan Prentice club is that we don't talk about Ryan Prentice club.

Um, I have my annivs post ready and it sucks compared to yours. Here goes nothing.

Love your story. Love your love. Sweetness.

Brooke said...

Cheers to the fittest and funniest couple I know! Love your love story. You are SOOOOO Meg Ryan. No really, you are actually Meg and Ryan. Happy niner to you both!

Brooke said...

Love these photos too!

Bree Soncrant said...

This gave me goosebumps. I love this story :)

Nicole said...

WOW that was a great post.
Thanks for setting the bar so high for year #9 blog post!

Geeze, you two are great, but even better together.

Go Wildcats!

Anonymous said...

You are one lucky girl, few have a story like this:) thank god our parents weren't thinking back in 97! And to think you didn't even need my thong to seal the deal!

Jocelyn said...

wow. isn't it crazy that in 8th grade we talked about ryan prentice even though neither of us knew him? gives me goosies.. because all these years later... i can say (based on this story) that there are no such things as coincidences. this little/blog post had me cracking up at the part where your love story is real world meets teen mom! i think the fact that my 8th grade writer's fake name was meg ryan hopes.... was a little forshadowing too, no? spooky. so, in a way..i introduced you. which is spooky too considering you guys introduced me to bennett.btw, i think he's the best part of your day when he's done showering and stretching. happy 9 meg. your marriage & friendship is something we all hope to have.

Laurie said...

happy anniversary you two crazy kids! Love that you are such a great duo, and that I get to be part of your family (even if I don't get to see you often enough) 9 years, cannot believe it!

Danielle said...

Happy Anniversary from a long time stalker :) Today is my 11th anniversary :) I'm glad I get to share it with other couples who are still hopelessly in love!

Heidi Bruch said...

I love you love birds. I love that you are still madly in love. I remember the early days. Happy 9th! I was hoping for a pic of the corn rows.

Val said...

seriously, you have a gift for writing, this was so fun to read. Oh the memories! Happy 9th- sorry you are spending it with a sicky, but you were still smiling, that's true love:)

Marie said...

Happy Anniversary!

Meg said...

A.B. you kill me. That is most def the first rule of the 'ryan prentice club.'

Katie said...

Jesus, I know I'm pregnant, but that post brought me to tears. So sweet.

Maria said...

LOVE IT! LOVE YOU! and i MISS YOU!
you two are a lucky lucky pair!

xoxo

Heather Conniff said...

meaning of perfect: ryan & megan. 9 years sure flew fast, although i'm not married to him or you for that matter. but honestly, you guys do make love look easy:)xoxo

Joe and Gina said...

Love this! Happy Anniversary!

katy said...

:) happy anniversary to a beautiful couple...inside and out. you do make love look fun, easy and sparkly. and you have such a way with words. love you! xo

Meghan said...

9 years!

love.