So after eight bags, four of them Hadley's, two nervous breakdowns (with actual tears and silent sobs), and one full prescription of anti-anxiety pills later...we're off to Hawaii. Because I'm always one to be prepared (should have been a girl scout), I wrote Hads a little letter just in case something should happen to us. Here's a snippet of it:
Now, if for some reason I don‘t get to see you grow up, there are a few key things I need to you remember and know, since I can‘t be there to teach it to you. I want you to be anything you want in this world, just don’t be boring. Whatever you do, do it with pizazz. You absolutely light up a room when you enter it, and I don’t want you to lose this gift. You are a girl with a whole lot of spunk, so become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know. You need to listen and mind adults, but sometimes it’s okay to ‘color outside of the lines.’ Always say please and thank-you…always! It will take you far, trust me. Being polite never goes unnoticed. Always ask if you ‘may be excused from the dinner table’, this shows respect to whomever made you that meal. And never forget to send a thank-you card. It’s the simplest gesture that can make someones day and will make them want to keep doing nice things for such a grateful person. Give hugs and kisses hello and goodbye, human touch is such a warm, powerful thing. Never waste an opportunity to tell someone you love them. Never be afraid to fail, otherwise how could you learn to enjoy success. Avoid negative people. Return all things you borrow. Sing in the shower, even if Zaide tells you your voice stinks. Take responsibility for every area of your life, don’t blame others and don’t ever expect life to be fair. Have a firm handshake. Don’t be afraid to say “I made a mistake” or “I don’t know”, it will keep you real and make other people want to help you. Keep your promises, no matter what. Floss your teeth. Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours. But do approach love and cooking with reckless abandon. Don’t be a girl who is ‘easy’, these girls are not respected and get nothing out of it except a bad reputation…hold out for love and please at least hold out until you’re out of high school. And keep this in mind, every time you have sex, you can get pregnant or you can not get pregnant. That’s 50/50. So don’t fool yourself into thinking that if you only do it once without protection, the odds are in your favor. Look people in the eye. Don’t waste time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and in the end, it’s only with yourself. Enjoy your body, be physically active and use it everyway you can. Go for a bike ride, a hike, a run, go skiing. Just take care of the body you have and don’t be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It’s the greatest instrument you’ll ever own. You don’t always get what you want. Be humble. Have close friends, friends that love you for all that you are and keep them close because the older you get the more you need the people who knew you when you were young. Go to college, and don‘t expect anyone else to support you. Embrace change. When someone is upset, has lost a loved, and or needs a good cry sometimes it’s just best to listen. You don’t need to find the perfect words, because there often aren‘t any. Make your bed every morning, it will make you look forward to getting in it at night. Remember to keep your head up (keep your dober up), have a good sense of humor, and never stop smiling. Because really, through all the muck and milestones of life, these are the keys to happiness.
PS Whomever gets her walking while we're away gets a box of chocolate covered Macadamia nuts.
16 comments:
Miss Megan, you are amazing. I am crying and it is only 6:30AM. All your advice is excellent whether you are 17 months or 52 years old! Have a wonderful time, enjoy your husband, the beach and the sunny weather!
Very sweet words - you deserve an amazing vacation, have tons of fun!!!
Thanks Meg. I'm crying now. I'm also going to try to live my life a little better. I'm also scared that this is just a snippet of the letter you wrote Hads who won't even see it because flying is safer then driving. :) Love you Megs. Think your pretty cool too.
poor mama, take some more of those meds. That was a great load of advice, you should get that printed in a book! One more thing to add: take after your uncle Kip, not your mama, when it comes to fear of flying -- you'll get to go many more interesting places.
Always nice to start my day off with crying (I read it at 6:30 too just like Michelle!). Can you run me off 2 copies of this letter so I can give it to Lauren and Ben if anything ever happens to me? It's pretty much perfect:) Too bad Hads will never read it since you'll be living forever!
Seriously, you are the best! One completely in-love mama! That was perfectly sweet, sincere and totally from your heart. Have a fabulous trip!
oh jeeze. this is sentimental (kinda crazy) meg at her best. you should have mentinoned to not fear flying somewhere in there because it makes you crazy and you write goodbye letters to your baby- even though you are only going on a vacation. for the future-lets save these types of letters for if you ever terminally ill (i crossed my fingers as i typed so it won't happen). now the nice sweet side of me- i think you are an amazing writer ( you may steal my pseudonym sp? since it already has your name)... and i do know that this is a huge fear-not some dumb thing- it's a big deal in your life. i feel bad that you've been dreading this trip more than looking forward to due to the flying. i'm excited for you and ry to just be you together. probably get drunk lots and the rest is.... you know. i'm kinda jealous that hads is gonna have the time of her life with zaide and babba. i love you. neurosis and all.
Hmm. I wish I could write that well. That was a SNIPPET?!
wow, that was sweet - but completely neurotic and SO you! I love how you are so prepared for your death by plane (which is SO not gonna happen) - hopefully you are having lots of fun in Hawaii and not missing Hads too much! :)
I love it! And I think you're back today for Hads to welcome you home with a big hug and a smooch! We're ready for Hawaii pics so I can be jealous...wait, can I at least be jealous for like one minute and then I'll get over it? I'll follow your advice, too, I guess...:)
Love this! You are so good with words...I'll be honest, I could use some of this advice and I'm 28. Hope you guys had a fabulous trip. I'm sure you were ready to get home to be with Hads.
WOW, what you wrote actually brought tears. All so true.
What a good mommy you are.
did anyone win the box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts?
if not, you can send them to your auntie in Spokane who actually likes them. And hurry up and get organized cuz we NEED new pix!
you are so sweet! I wish I would have seen this before we left...Hads is a lucky little girl, but I am sure she already knows that.
you are so sweet! I wish I would have seen this before we left...Hads is a lucky little girl, but I am sure she already knows that.
Post a Comment