Thursday, February 12, 2009

More school.

I finally signed Hadley up to go to my work's Daycare. She's just one of the 'drop off' kids, nothing official, nothing fancy (she doesn't have her very own cubby or anything cool like that). But I think it's going to be the best thing ever. I just email them days I need, and they plug her in if space is available. It's great because to actually be a 'daycare kid' you have to pay for at least three days a week (which we don't need) and it's about a 2.5 year wait (who's got 2 years to wait?!)...so to be able to drop her off willy-nilly when I have childcare needs is perfect (and I can even drop her off for a full 13 hours, which is an entire shift, or an entire day of shopping with friends, lunch, a movie, and dinner...how would they ever know).

Then I realized why I might want my kid to be raised by other people, instead of her inept mother and father. After spending a few hours there last week (just to eeze her in for when I leave her there for an entire day) I realized my child is a complete failure. The kids in her 'class' know Spanish, the alphabet, sit in a circle 'criss-cross-applesauce' style, drink out of a big kid cup, and even raise their hands when they have questions. SAY WHAT?!?! This is all while my little derelict is running around, holding her crotch, yelling 'yuck poo-poo' at the top of her lungs and all the 'little einsteins' (literally) stare at her in disgust. Then to top it off, after I changed her 'yuck poo-poos', Sofia (a fellow toddler) very politely came up to me and reminded me to "wash my manos" (hands for you non Spanish speaking folk, and 'hi's' as Hadley calls them, because, appropriately enough, they are what we use to say 'hi'.). When we left I asked if maybe there was a remedial toddler group she could hang out with, or perhaps the 'infant' room would be a better fit, that might be a crowd she could excel with.

16 comments:

... said...

I am glad you are learning these things before me, I didn't know toddlers were capable of being that smart! Hadley is like my little guinea pig from afar, you raise her, I see what works and I will make attempts at raising mine....

Lis said...

Grrr. I wrote a really long comment and lost my internet connection. I give up.

Shawna said...

I just died laughing at this post. You are seriously hilarious. Sarah and I are going to Tot Spot tomorrow morning around 10:30 if you want to join us. I don't have your email, and don't think you check facebook often, but wanted to invite you!

Sundi said...

Kids these days could run a corporation. I personally would rather have yucky poo poos and wash my hi's. Hadley is such a funny girl. She will probably love day care and you'll both love to show off the new skills she'll learn there. Sounds great!

Val said...

You are so funny. I think Hads is the smarter more creative one, she comes up with her own names for objects:)

Sarah K said...

Hadley just knows where it's at...poo poos ARE yucky.

Anonymous said...

whatever i'm sure had's is cuter than all of them hands down.

Meg said...

Shoot...Shawna I would LOVE to go to tot-spot with you, Sarah, and the kiddos...but I work today. Maybe you gals could head over to Seattle Children's and have coffee at our Tully's;). Invite me next time, I LOVE tot-spot.

Jamie "Swens" Barton said...

Meg, just teach Hads to say this to the teachers and other kids, "Chinga tu madre!" I'm pretty sure those jaws hitting the floor are expressions of being totally impressed...or maybe amazement...shocking really. Ok, shock value. Hey, they'll never forget the girl with the "ugly" name who got kicked out of emergency daycare. Let me know if you need a translation. And agreed, at least she's WAY cuter than those nerds.

Hope said...

This made me cry I was laughing so hard!! Oh Hads - no worries! So cute. Looks will get you far sistah!

Laurie said...

oh the peer pressure, it starts early nowadays. I say stick with 'hi' and 'neck', and tell the daycare she is speaking Mandarin Chinese.

Laurie said...

oh and the ginormous backpack is too adorable. She'll be needing chiropractic very soon.

Jocelyn said...

rolling. hey amy f- say what! (inside joke)dying at how your brain works and the things that come out of your mouth. shawna and sara- megan REALLY REALLY loves tot-spot.. so puhlease.. ask her again.:) monday's a great day for her typically..use to be my day with her til she found tot spot. boo.

Sandie B said...

Hillarious...its probably a good thing you didn't follow her around all day - she'll make lots of nerdy friends and she'll be the ring leader...before you know it she'll be teaching them all she knows!! PS to Jamie ---- your mother???

I with Sundi those braniac kids scare me!!!

katy said...

Well, my kids are right along with Hads BF! Just send her my way if they can't handle her! BTW...I love that you are doing this! I'm jealous!

Amy D. said...

Ok, dying. That's all I have to say. Dying laughing.