Friday, September 20, 2013

sick day.

Carsie was in daycare on Tuesday...at my work.
He cried when I dropped him off.  
When I say cry, I actually mean convulsed and quite possibly had a mini stroke.
Heartbreaking doesn't even touch it.
The kid was a mess.
But, I had a class to get to.
So I quickly kissed his sweaty little head, gave his teachers a pathetic smile, and ran out of there...without looking back.
I called Ryan right away and said 'something is wrong with our boy.'
Five hours later I had two messages on my phone that the kid was sick.
That he had thrown up three times after his nap.
And that he never stopped crying.
From the moment I dropped him off.
So...I took the knife out of my chest.
And hustled to pick him up.
(thank you Fimona).
In all his puke crusted, tear stained, Mama neglected glory.
Poor pal.
But thanks for getting me out of the last hour of my class.
We make a good team.

7 comments:

fiona westover said...

I knew there was something wrong with MY little man when you said he cried when you dropped him off. I wish I could have snuggled with him on the couch. Or pushed him off the couch and wrapped myself in that blanket and had you bring me beer and water. I dream of sick days. They are the best excuse to neglect all responsibilities.
I'm sorry he's feeling better and probably full of energy again.

A.B. said...

Fiona's message makes me laugh.

They are so sweet when sick. I hate when they return to well. It's a trick.

I pushed my child back in the door today as his daycare lady held on to him as he cried for me.
Worst. feeling. ever. I had a donut to make me feel better.

Laurie said...

Oh, that's the WORST feeling in the world. But moms are heartless that way.

Lois left Zaide and me at Frederick & Nelson's daycare (they didn't call it that then tho -- probably more like "Mother's Cocktail Hour/Respite Care Center") I loved it. Little Beezie did NOT. She cried the whole time. And I, her big sister, was required to sit next to her and try to get her to stop crying. Thus could not color, play in the sand box area, string beads or anything. I probably tried to bite her in retaliation.

Glad little man recovered -- he was definitely in party mode by the weekend!

Jocelyn said...

love your pal snuggled up in the blanket i made him. he's a sweet one. even though you make him sound crazy all the time. i know better... he is a sweetheart.

zaideafraidey said...

all that, and clunking me on the head with your cast...what kind of big sis were you anyway? (and why have you always been considered the "nice" one. Poor little bean.

fiona westover said...

Your grandmother's name is Lois? Makes me love your eulogy to her that much more. I can picture a Lois telling an 8 year old that the way to a man's heart is with a good BJ.

Laurie said...

I didn't actually bite you, but I am sure I wanted to. Will own up to the cast clonk but you deserved it. Meg, back me up here, if BZ was your little sister, wouldn't you be tempted to whack her from time to time?