Tuesday, October 19, 2010

benchwarmer.

About a month ago we decided to sign Hadley up for soccer and swimming (Ryan's idea...not mine).  I knew how it would go.  But I thought, maybe, just maybe, she'll surprise us.  On the first day of practice, as we were getting ready to leave and pumping Hads up, she looked at me and said "I'm not playing soccer Mama."  But I had in my little head, oh, she'll love it once she sees the other kids.  WRONG.  She didn't play.  She sat against the wall with me, with her thumb in her mouth, and held true to her word.  And I kept looking at Ryan and giving him my best "I told you so" smile.
And this is what happened when she found out her swim teacher was a boy.  No joke.  We went to two lessons.  She sat next to me, with her thumb in her mouth...and again, held true to her word.
 So far we are Hadley: 2 Parents: 0. 
 The saddest part of it all?  Not the disappointment of her not playing, not the money we lost, not the worry that she'll picked last on the playground at recess...it's the fact that she is me.  100%, without a doubt, me.  Poor thing.  But at least she's consistent.

11 comments:

Lis said...

Maddie freaked out at having a guy swimming instructor too! So weird. They put her in a baby class for the day because she would not budge off the side of the pool.

And Hads and i can hang out on the bench. Any ball sports and I am OUT. I get sweaty just thinking about gym class and waiting in the outfield for something to head my direction.

Katie said...

You can totally run now, she'll be fine.

Bored Housewife said...

1) My daughter wasn't a joiner at first, and would watch everything from a safe distance: soccer, preschool dance, story time, etc. and I felt like she was me, too. Turns out, all it took was a little time, and now she plays softball and basketball, which is so totally not me.
2) My friend's daughter had a swim teacher who was female but had a little mustache. She is scared of the water to this day.

Jocelyn said...

well now you are like the biggest joiner ever. so there's hope. but i sort of think you were a joiner back in the day. otherwise.. how did we play all our sports together? and become fast friends in mrs. king's class?

Val said...

Maybe she'll be a mathlete:) Either way, she's our favorite cousin hands down!

Loosy said...

Sounds like she hasn't found her passion...sign that girl up for hoops.

Ps - I started bball in the 7th grade because Angie Huffman did, oh and I was 6'0". I ran down the court holding out my shirt because I was afraid other people would see my two mosquito bites on my chest. Going through puberty was not cool at Evergreen Jr High. Inglewood...that's another story.

PPS - that Ps was totally unrelated to your post.

PPS - And I totally had my period all over my chair on the 3rd day of 7th grade in a two hour block class with Marcus Byeman (HUG crush on all 5 feet 6 inches of him) sitting directly behind me. Mr. Clay had to call my DAD to come pick me up. He suggested that he bring a clean pair of pants. Worst. Day. Ever.

zaideafraidey said...

yes indeed there is a whole lot of mama in Miss HJ, but I firmly believe the good parts will be there too....and trust me the ride won't be boring!!

Loosy said...

Oh, and her game face in that first photo. She at least looks the part!

Heather Conniff said...

love her. you knew these events were going to be a NO GO. I was w/ you guys on the first day of swimming and she sounded less than thrilled about the class. oh, and the scorecard...she's pretty good, it's probably more like Hadley: 100,Parents: 5 - Ry's a push over.

Laurie said...

Mathlete. That's a good one Val. Try her again next year. Too soon to predict she will be picked last

Sarah K said...

I was wondering what happened to you two. To be fair, I would have had the same reaction as Hadley when I saw the swim teacher...