So we moved Hadley to a big girl bed last week. Figured the earlier we get her out of the crib before new baby comes, the less she would hate new baby for completely wrecking her once perfect little life. After much hesitation (by me because Hadley is a great sleeper and I'm a big believer of 'why ruin a good thing'...she could have been in that crib until she was 10 for all I cared), but we just went for it. And Hadley never looked back. She was stoked for a new room, new bed, and a night light. She snuggles right in, with a huge smile on her face, and that's the end of it...not to be heard of until morning. And that's where it started to get a little sticky. Morning for her became 5am! The freedom of just getting out of bed and opening the door proved a little too much for the bean. One morning I found her in her old room emptying out every single dresser drawer, the next morning she found some pens and thank god was coloring on paper, the morning after that she was just downstairs chilling on the couch eating cereal and sharing with Rudy. I sat down with my dear husband and convinced him that this was a safety issue and we needed to do something STAT! I mean she could unlock the front door, go into the street, die, etc. When in actuality it was a sanity issue. I need mornings to myself, I need my tea, my newspaper, my quiet time. It didn't take too much convincing as Ryan needs his sleep. So we bought some handy-dandy little child proof door locks for lever handles (didn't think they made those), Hadley took one look at them, and being the quitter that she is, tried once to open it, failed, and succumbed. And we are back to a 7:30-8am call time. It's so fun being the parent when you win...the feeling of triumph is indescribable! We'll see how long it lasts...because a good thing never does...especially with a two year old.
15 comments:
I need some of those...where'd you buy? We can now unlock and open the OUTSIDE doors. Love the new bed and sheets. very cute.
I need some of those...where'd you buy? We can now unlock and open the OUTSIDE doors. Love the new bed and sheets. very cute.
Lis, you need a security team with your peanut. Mere baby locks aren't going to work. And Hads looks so tiny in her big girl bed!
great bed and bedding. i would never want to get up
Love the big girl bed and the independence. She's such a smarty! Well done on the door locks. You'll be so much happier for it, and we all know you need those moments while your preggers.
enjoy that feeling of winning and tell me what it's like some day, I haven't felt it in a long time with my daughter! Good work on the door handles!
Fav line: "Being the quitter that she is...."
Do you really read the newspaper?
I knew I would get called out for my newspaper line. I scan the front page so at work, I can kind nod when all the 'worldly' people are talking about whats going on, I read and obits, and do the crossword. There I'm out. I don't watch the news either.
I adore her big girl bed and how she crawls into it - it's quit comfy, I'd sleep in there too!
Poor Rudy, he had a good thing, too. No more...
I love this success story and I love the solution to the early wake up time - I will be locking Hayds in when she makes the transition, too!
but seriously... where did the time go? her room is edible people. so sweet-happy and completely megan and now hads.
A gate works well! It's like we are keeping them caged in like a zoo animals!
Oh what a great story! I just love happy endings and especially when they're about my favorite things (SLEEP). I'm glad it all went so smoothe
hey where is Lalu Curry whatevs? She has not commented in ages...
Post a Comment