Sunday, March 14, 2010

three.

Hadley Jane, how is this even possible? How are you three? I so vividly remember you being an infant, me crying (and you were too I'm sure...because you did that a lot) and me asking you to 'please just turn three months old'. I promised you by then I would have this whole parenting thing all figured out. Sorry babe, it was the first time I've lied to you...but most definitely not the last (just wait until you find out about Santa...GASP!). I swear though, with each age I just find myself liking you more and more. Of course I love you, that goes without saying. But, more importantly, I really, really like who you are. Trust me, there are a lot of days I don't really want to raise you my dear, but never a day where I wouldn't love to meet up with you for a drink after work....because you just make me happy. I like your spirit, your humor, your infectious laugh, your orneriness, your determination, your fears, the things you get excited about, and best of all, the way you make people feel (okay, maybe not the kids you hit, but everyone else). I love how you start your stories with 'One time...', and end your stories with 'remember that?'. I love whenever you see a word you ask, 'who start with all those letters?'...you are obsessed with the alphabet, and know everybody's letter. I love how much you love your babies, I love how much you are annoyed by Rudy, I love how you squeal with delight when your daddy comes home and try to tell him every single thing that he missed in the last 10 hours. And I love even more that he sits and listens. I love how you sweep your hair out of your eyes. I love how much you love to read, how you remember EVERYTHING that has ever happened to you (you're like your Grandma Shirley that way...except you're not making things up), and how you take my breath away every time you ask, out of the blue, about our baby in the sky...your intuition blows my mind. I love that you've been in physical therapy for two years of your life aka 'jumping school' and how cool you think it is. I love that you'll put yourself down for a nap. I love even more on the days you let me cuddle next to you because you can just tell I need it. Your favorite words are pee, poop, and penis...and you giggle in delight at the mere thought of them. I love that you're such a good medicine taker and shot getter, I love that you know all the characters names on Handy Manny, and I love how amazing you are at putting together puzzles. I love your inability to cope, your absolute ability to lose your mind (I've witnessed this often) and your constant need for our love and attention. I love your spunk, I love your wit, and I love your ski jump nose and your rose-bud lips. Hadley, I pretty much love all your bits and pieces, even the ones I loathe, I actually love. Because they make you...you. And I really like you.

28 comments:

Amy D. said...

You are such a good mom. It oozes out of your every pore. Thanks for reminding me of all the good things there are to love about our little ones.

Liz said...

She is so great and so are you...I have a tear right now Meg. You are today's hero! Happy Three Hadley.

Katie said...

well, you've made me cry. yet again.
nice work.
that hadley jane is pretty perfect!

Jocelyn said...

yep. i concur with amy d. you are SUCH a good mom meg. you get me excited over the prospect of it. hadley is so perfectly equal parts you and ryan (two of my most favorite people)... i actually think at 3 yrs old she's perfectly your equal parts exaggerated by 100... and that's what makes her so hadley. i hope i always remember her whiny little voice- which i just love- it instantly puts a smile on my face- no matter what is coming out of it because i'm so in shock of all that comes out of it. she's brilliant that way. you've come a long way too in the last 3 years meg. you are a full fledge mom and i didn't know that one detail would make you into the person you were suppose to be. nor did i know it would be my favorite detail about you- even more so than your quick wit and nasty little tongue. yep.i'm really enjoying this part of our lives. thanks for letting me be such a huge part of it. big love.

Jamie "swens" Barton said...

Laughing, crying, "only Meg could say that and get away with it"...you've done it again, Megs! I now love Hads that much more - Happy Birthday ya big 3-year-old!!!

Hope said...

Omg. I want one. Ok - I have one but I want yours too.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Hadley Jane. Love you to pieces (and your parents too)!

Shawna said...

You have once again made me laugh and cry at the same time. That is a perfect letter to your precious little Hadley and so well said. Happy Birthday to the big 3 year old!!

Susie said...

Love this.
Love her.
And I don't even know you.

Ooh...did stalking your kid cross the line? Hmmm.

xoxo.
Susie

Brooke said...

You are an incredible mom. Hadley is an incredible little gal. You two are something special. Loved this Meg.

Maria said...

beautiful! she is who she is because of you and ryan. she is a brilliant reflection of your "coolness". Take a bow meg, you done good! happy happy hads. smooch

heather said...

I really, really like her too AND her momma. She's such an amazing mix of you and Ryan, thanks for sharing her w/ us. Happy 3rd Birthday Hadley Jane!!! XOXO

Bored Housewife said...

Hopefully my experience was unique, but I found the age of three to be a total freakin' nightmare. The tantrums of the twos are a walk in the park, and they're stronger and know more words, and potty training was the worst part of parenting so far. I'm sure when she hits the teenage years I'll wish she would just shit her pants again. Here's to me being wrong and you getting to coast through the threes. Happy Birth Day to YOU!

Marie said...

Happy Birthday Hadley! We love you lots and can't wait to see you soon! Megan, as everyone has already said, you sure do have a way with words. Such a sweet post for such a sweet little girl.

Meghan said...

3! pee, poop and penis are my favorite words too!

TEAR JERKER MEG!

bugbeefamily said...

So sweet! Happy Birthday Hadley!

Val said...

So sweet, we love you Miss Hadley Jane!

Jocelyn said...

bored housewife has a way with words, no?

zaideafraidey said...

through tear coated eyes I can only second all of those things, and remain so glad that you have your own little one to experience the world with. I cannot imagine life w/out Ms. Jane, especially her sly little look and way of niggling into you heart.

Sarah K said...

Happy Big Three Hadley! Megan you need to start blogging every single day.(As if you have nothing better to do!) These posts just make me smile!

Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook said...

I hope you turn this blog into a book some day. I will buy it. This is an amazing letter. Hadley is so lucky to have such an amazing mom. I've never even met you (just a mere blogstalker here :)) and know you're one of the coolest people in the world...and one great mama.

Laurie said...

not much to add here, except I love you guys, and the baby in the sky too :-)

Anonymous said...

Do you even know bored housewife?????

You are the best Meg, such a great mom! Happy 3rd Bday Hads!!! You were born into an amazing family who obviously loves you more than anything!

PS Can I join you girls for the after work drink in 18 years:)

katy said...

I can't believe she's 3! Congrats Meg...she is perfectly perfect and you really are one heck of a fabulous mama. And of course have a brilliant way with words. xoxo

Alicia said...

Love every word. Its a lot how I feel about Cohen only you know how to say it girl. Funny how when you reflect on them, how good you feel about having them. Makes all the bad days with them make sense. Well kind of. Your such a good mom and H will look back someday and enjoy reading all your words. She may be a bit embarrassed at times but she will appreciate hearing who she was.

malia said...

happy day to hads and her crazy awesome mom and dad...here's to all the flailing, smart mouthing, door kicking (that's the new one in our house) parent smacking, mind losing tantrums, but mostly fun adventures that come with year 3!

Heidi Bruch said...

My goodness, Jon and I talk about how popular you are - 26 comments - we barely get a couple on any of my posts - not cool enough I guess:-) Happy Birthday to Hads - so sad she was sicky on her special day - can't believe she is 3! What?!! A little something is headed her way via post. xoxo

Laurie said...

where are the pics of the PARTY!?