Monday, March 14, 2011

four.


Hadley, Hads, Hadley Jane, H Dizzle, H. Jane, Jane, Janie, Janie & Jack, Miss Jane, J-Woww, J Dizzle, Lulu, Lu, Mama, Sis, Sissy, Sissy Bear...my little girl...you're four today.  Four freakin' years old! 
Before you were born, I never thought I wanted a girl.  I was fine to be a Mama to just boys.  Figured boys were easier.  Boys were tougher.  Boys were better.  I would have bet everything I had that you were a boy...and I was thrilled.  But then out you came, and you were indeed a GIRL...and it was the best surprise of my life.
Now it blows my mind to think that you are four years old (and blows my mind that I wanted a stinky boy!).  Your my favorite little gal and you're getting so grown up.  I am really starting to love everything about you at this age.  Each age always seems to be my favorite (except 1 through 3...kidding), but four really takes the cake. 
Your constant questions blow my mind (and drive me crazy).  You want to know anything and everything about anything and everything.  You are absolutely in awe of the world around you.  It's so much fun and so refreshing to see life through your little golden hued eyes. 
You talk non-stop...literally.  I don't know how you even get oxygen in those lungs.  Sometimes I swear if we're in the car and it gets quiet it's because you passed out.  You have A LOT to say and it almost always makes me smile (and sometimes makes me want to bang my head against the wall).  
When you don't get your way you groan like Marge (from the Simpsons) which is hilarious, you still can't say your 'sp' sounds (sfrinkles, sfoon, and sfecial are just a few of my favorites), and you love the Berenstain Bears, Calliou, and Olivia with a passion.
You are a wonderful student (if Preschool counts), you're great at puzzles, and you're able to write all your letters.  You're really into writing people's names, you love rhyming, and you actually color inside of the lines now...kind of. 
You are getting pretty funny, and a little bit witty.  It will take time.  For example, announcing to people in the produce section of the grocery store that you are 'GOING TO PEE ON EVERYBODY' is neither witty nor funny (much to yours and the Westovers chagrin).  I tried to cover for you by telling the worried on-lookers not to fret, it was actually physically impossible for your little bladder to hold enough urine to get every single person...and that your aim was pretty awful.  They didn't think I was very funny or witty either.  You win some you lose some. 
You're definitely starting to get when we 'tease' you, which is a lot, and I love that you know the difference between us being serious and us pulling your leg.  I think it will help mold you into a great big sister.  No point in having a sibling if you can't tease them and make their life miserable.  Carson hasn't a clue what's in store for him.
I am also watching you gain your independence.  These last few months you've really grown.  You want to swim, do ballet, ski, jump off things, even play soccer.  Who's kid are you?  I'm learning that you can't be pushed into things.  It has to be your idea (ahem, like pooping on the toilet...FINALLY), but once you make up your mind you jump in head first, with gusto, and never look back.  And the pride I feel when I see how proud you are of yourself, well, it gives me a lump in my throat the size of Texas. 
You're always worth the wait. 
Hadley, you are pure joy to be around.  On the days you're not with me, I find myself really missing you.  The quietness is lonely and the clean house is boring.  And although you still can't sit quietly at a restaurant to save your little life, your cry is quite possibly the loudest most awful sound in the world (and not awful in that I feel bad for you, awful as in it makes dogs down the street howl), and you religiously test my patience (and you usually fail, or I do, however you want to look at it)...I wouldn't trade anything about you for anything in the world (okay, maybe for a Land Rover, but only if it had heated seats). 
I love you Hads.  Each year I don't think it's possible to actually love you more than the last...and each year I do.  And that, my dear, is a scary, amazing thing because, my God, do I ever love you right now.  
xoxo
Your beaming with pride (and a little bit exhausted) Mama

13 comments:

Heidi Bruch said...

How the hell is she four? I remember holding her the day she was born. I sound old and can picture saying this when she is 14. Love that she is getting witty, love that she wants to pee on people, love that I did not need an explanation on who marge was and I got a lump in my throat, too when you talked about the proud thing....isn't that the best? Cant believe you've been a mom for four years. Happy birthday, Hadley Jane! Xoxo

Val said...

I remember how HAPPY I was that you were wrong about her being a boy, even though I did think you were right (I think my dad was the only one who said girl). I am still beyond thrilled that she is a girl and that she is Hadley Jane. Oh how I love this girl, she does have a funny sense of humor and asks the funniest questions...and a lot of them. And even if she does scream bloody murder every time she has to leave our house or nana and pa's (I secretly think it's because she loves me so much she doesn't want to have to part ways) we love her to the moon and back! Her spunk is the best, love that she gives her big cousin a run for her money (she needs it) and love what a good big cousin/big sis she is to Benny & Carson. Love you Miss Jane!

Laurie said...

Awww. She's every bit the girl her mama was and more
Happy 4th Hads. You're a peach!

Jocelyn said...

i think a certain 4 year old got a hair cut? she's too cute meg. who would have thought this scrawny little peanut would turn out to be such a lively, animated- question asking 4 year old? even though they say firsts are sort of like your lab rat..i think this lab rat has done amazingly well.... and like you said..she has taught YOU so much. my favorite being that you can't push her into anything. that will take her far in life. way farther than skiing, soccer or jumping. i promise. but i'm happy for your sake that she's enjoying those things now. happy 4 years hadley jane. xoxo

Marie said...

Happy 4th Birthday Hadley! We hope you had a wonderful day. We miss you lots and hope to go see you soon.

Nicole said...

Happy Birthday Hadley! I wish you lots of birthday wishes today. Hads tell your mom and dad they need to set up a play date with your girl Grace. Something tells me you two have A LOT in common!

Love ya Megs. Your the coolest mom I know.

Sarah K said...

Happy Birthday Hads! 4 years!?! Have I been stalking you for that long? Ok, maybe it's only been 3 years. Whatever the case, Hads and her Momma are an entertaining bunch! Have a wonderful day you inquisitive, cautious little Pisces! :)

A.B. said...

What a hilariously sweet sweet post. Happy Bday!

Meghan said...

oh little hads is four! i love four. she is so very curious about everything and I LOVE that. I love that she told ari to make her 4 cups of chocolate milk too.

she's one of a kind, thats for sure!

zaideafraidey said...

Oh how fun to get to see her little personality take shape, and what a shape it is taking. With you and Ry as parents she had better get the witty/sarcasm thing, and boy does she get it. I adore who she is/becoming and can't wait for the rest of the ride. (though I know exactly how this turns out...look in the mirror Miss Meg!!)

Loosy said...

How did I miss this post? Happy, happy birthday Hadley! What a beautiful, sweet, making me tear up kinda post. You are such a remarkable mother. One that has always inspired me. And your daughter is proof that you're doing, doing, doing it well (yes I just referenced LL Cool J). Lucky Hads. Lucky Megs.

katy said...

(i missed it too loosy.)

hads...tell your mom that if she drives you down to auntie kate's house i will make you cupcakes, buy you a present and let you play with all our toys for as long as you want without sharing or taking a nap! you will love it! happy 4th hadley jane! smooches from all of us! xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Your posts always make me laugh hysterically, and sometimes they make me cry :-) (today was both) You, my friend, are an incredible writer, and your kids are truly blessed to have you as their Momma~