So last year I tried to get her to take swim lessons and she was totally game...until she found out that her teacher's name was Austin, which meant her swim teacher was a boy, and there was no way she was swimming with a boy. I convinced her to go and 'just' watch. She did, but wouldn't get close to the pool, or the teacher, or the 4 other boys that were in her class. In fact she flat out told me "I don't like stinky boys. And I will never swim with them."
All right crazy woman, you win.
All right crazy woman, you win.
I promised myself, from that day forward, I would stop trying to get her to do things she didn't want to do. And you know what...it worked out well. She just needed to wait till she was good and ready (and needed a lot of help from Zaide who swam with her at the gym every single Wednesday morning). She found her confidence. She's come a long way from clinging on to our necks for dear life. She even jumps in now...from the edge of the pool. That, my friends, is bigtime. And the best part, she couldn't stop smiling the whole entire class. Ear to ear smiles, even when she got water in her eyes (which shocked me because if she gets water in her eyes in the bathtub time actually stands still and you would swear one of her limbs must have been sucked down the drain), and she was even smiling when she had to swim with the stinky boys in her class.
Her wingman.



8 comments:
that grin? presh. she looks way happy to be in that pool, even if there are stinky boys there too! :)
Honestly...how darling is she in that sweet little bathing suit? I'm so glad to hear that she's embraced the swimming (and the stinky boys)! And that's one cute little wingman she's got there. His lashes are ridic!
I love her supermodel pose in the first picture. I am so glad she got over the icky boys and now loves swimming. And Carson? He gets cuter everyday. What a doll.
So brave! Good for you Hads, and yay for Zaide for encouraging you on a weekly basis. Now that she has a stinky boy in the house, it's a good thing that she has conquered her revulsion. Though it might have been better if she'd kept that part of it through the Teen Mom years.
this little girl is coming into her own. i love it. i LOVE that she doesn't let other's and their expectations push her into do anything she doesn't want to do. and yes. i love little girls in their swim suits.
cute suit, very cute wingman, does hads know how lucky she is in a class w/ all boys?
it has been amazing to watch her confidence grow. Owe a large bit to Mads and Allie, when they were "doing it" she did not think twice about joining in.
So proud of Miss Jane for braving the water, even with boys in the pool! I love her cute suit and her cute smile in the water. You can tell she's so proud! She's told me about a hundred times, "Aunt Val, now I like swimming, ballet, & soccer."
Post a Comment