Thursday, March 17, 2011

a little heads up woulda been nice.

I will admit, one of the best parts about having kids is celebrating any and every holiday.  And let me tell ya, Miss Hads was stoked about St. Patty's Day.  Most likely had something to do with being able to pinch people.  We started off the day having green eggs & ham for breakfast, decked ourselves out in green head to toe, we made green cookies with green frosting, and then we ended the day with a full on green feast.  I felt like mom of the year (obviously the Guinness was kicking in).  Until I found out that every other kid in the world got a visit from the Leprechaun.  Maybe someone could have thrown me a bone here (or a pot of gold).  We received no visit from the mischievous little guy...no green pee in the toilet, no messing up the house, no St. Patty's day treat left behind.  Thank goodness for Aunt Val who stopped by with a little bag of gold chocolates that the silly Leprechaun left for Hadley and Carson at her house. 
Hadley asked whey he didn't make it to our house. 
I said, 'Well Hads I forgot to text him our address.  It was my fault.  He's not smart like Santa.'
  Then she said, not missing a beat, 'Mama, will you make sure you remember to text the Easter Bunny where we live so he can leave me a basket.'

In the words of Hadley...
HAPPY GREEN PATRICK'S DAY!

13 comments:

katy said...

wow...you were super mom! green mashed potatoes? i see you had a vegetarian meal.? ;) and forgot to blog this part but just so you know i too had thought i had gone all out until ava informed me that her teacher had told them the night before that leprachauns come and leave candy around the house. thanks miss debbie! would have liked to have had a heads up on that one. ava was up every 20 minutes that night asking when we could go downstairs. geez.

Jocelyn said...

i knew nothing about the leprechaun deal til kasie told me all she did at her house for her kiddos. needless to say, i'm quite impressed with your green food. we didn't do anything like that growing up. oh, and thanks for pointing out your green food items in your picture:)

Brooke said...

A wee disappointed there's no green beer. ;)

zaideafraidey said...

thanks goodness Hads did not check Zaide out, I word green the day after. Never heard to visit by Leprechaun, but do get ready for some April 1 hijinks.

Laurie said...

wtf, the leprechaun visits and leaves treats?? never heard of that, damn people who want to jazz up EVERY holiday. Green and pinching = plenty o fun.

But DO take Hads out in the morning on May Day to hang baskets of flowers on neighbors' doors, ring the bell and run! Boys and I did that a couple of years ago, they loved it, and it bought us a whole year of goodwill in the 'hood (and we all needed it)

Lis said...

Seriously! We did nothing for Happy green patrick's day. What a fun idea to turn the food green. Would love to see Allie flip out if her bread and cheese were green instead of white.

Heidi Bruch said...

Cant believe you posted is. I did the green pancakes, green milk etc but it was not until I talked to my friends that I realized, duh! The freakin leprechan! Crappity crap. At least some gold chocolate coins. I was in the same boat. Luckily, Hayds was too grossed out by her green milk to notice. Let's warn each other next year!

Ps what are you and ry...8 years old? Milk with dinner? Looks like my hubby;)

Unknown said...

You totally got the short end of the stick. When the leprechauns come to your house and leave Lucky Charms you don't have to cook dinner for days. ALl you eat is cereal. If only you were Irish...Looks like you put in a lot more work with your dinner than I put in setting the Leprechaun trap.

fiona westover said...

Oopsie, I've been commenting under my sister's name. Its me, Fiona, not Mairead!

Sarah K said...

A leprechaun visits? That's creepy. I put the boys in green shirts and called it a day. Once my kids catch wind of all this "green dinner, gold coins, green milk, pillow tossing shenanigans" I'm screwed.

A.B. said...

My kid wore a green shirt. NO idea if my milk turned green because of a leprachan, though... maybs I could put some food coloring in one and throw it in the freezer. I mean, just to see what Ben would do.

We also celebrated by getting a fever and sleeping 45 minute intervals. I found no candy in my house, either so I ate a pint of mink chocolate chip icecream.

Heather Conniff said...

this is one of my fav posts, she is sooooo funny! cars looks like he's a doll in the Bumbo chair...I barely recognized him! wish all of our meals were blended with food coloring, would prob make cole eat more things. you're a fun mom!

Shawna said...

Other than forcing Owen to wear a green shirt, I don't think he even knew it was St. Patrick's Day. You are fancy.