There's not much that brings me to tears.
I am talking those instantaneous alligator tears that some people are so good at.
They just don't happen for me.
Except for the times when I'm proud.
Like when Hadley does something brave.
Or when Ryan finishes a marathon.
Or when I see the strength and tenacity and resilience of kids.
Especially sick kids.
They blow me away.
They make me lose my words.
They make my vision blurry.
They make it hard for me to swallow.
They make it hard for me to swallow.
They humble me.
And they fill me with pride.
Whenever I am asked what I do for a living, I always hesitate...
saying you're a nurse in a children's ICU is usually an uncomfortable topic.
I always hear 'Oh geeze, I could never do that.'
'Is it sad?'
'How do you do that?'
'Do kids die?'
'I like kids too much to do that.'
(this one I love).
I try to avoid work conversations at all costs (even with my own husband).
I never have a good answer. I never have an answer people could quite understand. I can never explain how it is actually just the opposite of what they think.
And then I see something like this and I think...
This is why.
Because how in the world could I ever dream of doing anything else???
When I walk through that Giraffe Entrance tomorrow morning my head will be held a little bit higher.
Because the people and kids I get to work with fill me with so much pride I feel as if I might explode.
And I promise, I will try not to cry.
(Thanks Heidi B. for the video...and the tears.
Thanks Hem-Onc nurses for being so cool.
And thanks Children's Hospital for being in our backyard).
10 comments:
I already sent this to Meg, but wanted to put it on record :-)
When people say stupid things like "how could you...", what they mean is "Why can't I..." Why can't I be so brave, so smart, so full of love, so strong, so dedicated, so able to find value in everything I do at work, so caring, so AWESOME...
I am beyond proud to have two nurses in the family. What you wrote the other day about teachers? double for nurses. quadruple even.
Thank you for doing such an awesome job.Its one thing to have an excellent doc,its another to have an excellent nurse, as they truely care for the enitre family and all aspects of care.Id be lost with out or excewptional nurses for our inpatient surgeries
Love it! Love Children's and love that you work there.
I love that you cry when Ryan finishes a marathon.
We work with good people.
I love me my children's hospital nurse...so, so sincerely and I'm glad I made you cry. xoxo
Thank you for sharing and for doing what you do. Nurses are special people, but nurses who work magic like you all do at Children's...well, special just doesn't cover it. Simply, thank you.
...and don't get me started on the kiddos in that video...wow. Little heroes!
ok. so i can't watch the video. but am always in awe of you and all your nurse pals. i love them all. such awesome women (and men, but i've only met your women nurse friends). i've asked 'dumb questions', but only to try and understand better. but i don't think words do any of you justice. we are a lucky lot to have all of you. thanks for sharing this (even though i didn't watch it). i don't think i'm in a frame of mind to be in tears (good or bad). xo
You have NEVER asked dumb questions. Ever. I literally had someone say to me once, 'Oh, I could never do that...I like kids too much.' I responded with 'Well, it works great for me. I hate them.'
haha Meg. Love that you said that.
and of course i love this post, so much i pretty much copied it word-for-word (because you are my favorite Nurse and always have such a way with words!)!!!
And if i was under-18 and ridiculously ill, i can't think of any other gal i would want to show up at my bedside to suction my trach or push my pain meds or clean up my various body fluids... because i know you would do all of that and more with a smile and a joke and a hug. :D
i love you. i love that i lived with you and witnessed you in the midst of becoming a nurse and it makes me want to cry sometimes. nurses are definitely the coolest people. i can't imagine doing anything else either. you make me want to switch to peds sometimes. preemie babies aren't quite as fun. ;) xoxoxo
Post a Comment