Thursday, January 20, 2011

lucky number 84.

Well hello there #84.  I've been waiting for you.  I've spent quite a lot of time with your buddies...everyday, twice a day, for 42 days.  And we've formed a bit of a love/hate relationship.  I remember #6 in the hospital when Ryan was getting ready to give her and he didn't even flinch, I think he even smiled a bit, and I stopped him mid-shot and said "I'm nervous that you're not nervous" (this man has never even touched a syringe before, yet alone injected someone with one).  He told me to quit being such a big weenie and shoved her in my arm.  It was the first and last shot he gave.  I remember #12, as I hurled him across my room, cried, and yelled "I am not doing this!".  It was a Hadley size tantrum. I remember #24 that made me bleed like a stuck pig.  He wrecked my favorite shirt.  And I remember #75 that I gave publicly at a party, a lame attempt at a cool party trick, or just a junkie that had too much to drink.  Oh, and the best part, I freaked the host out by leaving my drug paraphernalia behind.  Yes, we've been through a lot together.  You no longer give me the sweats, I don't shake anymore when I touch you.  I've actually grown quite fond of you.  I know exactly the perfect places to stick you in now, I've mapped out the spots that hurt the least.  I've learned the proper tempo to inject you so it's a nice steady burn instead of a horrific stabbing sensation.  I've learned that you were only trying to help and I thank you for that.  I will never forget you, I have 84 nice little poke marks all over  my abdomen and thighs, and I have bruising the colors of the rainbow, to remind me.  So little shot, thanks for the ride (that's what she said).  Stay sweet.  Don't change.  Have a great summer.  And enjoy your sharps container, you little bastard.     

8 comments:

Shaina said...

I have literally felt your pain. I had the pleasure of getting to know those little bastards EVERY day of my pregnancy. My doc thought I enjoyed injecting myself like a regular user so much, that she decided to throw in 8 extra weeks postpartum as well!

zaideafraidey said...

I am so happy this is over and am even happier that they brought back your sparkle - it was awful when you lost it. thank god for drugs!(or scientists)

Liz said...

Now THAT is completion of a project worthwhile!

Laurie said...

love your 'that's what she said'...that NEVER gets old. (and if you were more like a 10 year old boy, you'd have worked in URANUS too). Congrats on finishing what sounds like a terrible course of treatment. I'd have just accepted death.

Katie said...

hurray! so glad you're done, what a pain (literally)! ;) it must make you a bit more sympathetic to your patients though, knowing how awful those dumb shots are...

Heather Conniff said...

when you shot up in front of me, I got dizzy for 2 seconds, no thank you - you're a rock star. I think I may have opted for the risk of clot.

Meg said...

SHAINA...you poor thing!!! Okay, I got nothing to complain about:(. You probably couldn't use your stomach while you were pregnant huh, b/c there wouldn't be any fat. Yuck! You better have gotten one hell of a push present

Shaina said...

I say complain away my friend. It doesn't matter if you had to do 1, 84 or how ever many I did they all hurt the same! I used just about every part of my body by the end, well any place I could reach that is. btw - it wasn't so much a "push present" as it was an "incision present" :) happy for you to be done with them.