Friday, February 1, 2008

Just so you know (SARAH!).

I got some laughs that maybe this HUGE milestone in Hadley's life really is not actually crawling after all. But look what I found on the Parent's Magazine website:
Crawling is defined as any form of prone progression -- any way of moving in which the tummy is toward the floor. In fact, in one of her many studies on crawling babies, Karen Adolph, PhD, associate professor of psychology at New York University, observed 25 unique combinations of body parts used to propel a baby forward. The most common styles are:
The belly crawl (also known as the commando crawl)--this was listed as #1.
So HA!

13 comments:

Lis said...

It's totally crawling!

Laurie said...

love that you have to justify your child's crawling style. Hey she is moving (sort of) it all counts!

Meg said...

Thanks Lis! Lavs, kind of thanks.

Anonymous said...

i didn't believe you so I went to the on-line merriam webster dictionary (the first two are 100% HADS, so I will now give you credit):

crawling
One entry found.

crawl[1,verb]

Pronunciation: \ˈkrȯl\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old Norse krafla
Date: 14th century
intransitive verb

1: to move slowly in a prone position without or as if without the use of limbs (the snake crawled into its hole)

2: to move or progress slowly or laboriously (traffic crawls along at 10 miles an hour)

Meg said...

I love it! Hadley definitely moves laboriously.

Jocelyn said...

she was totally crawling. no ifs ands or buts about it Sarah! of all people- to come from a best friend! You are dead meat!!!

Sue said...

low-crawl, slow-crawl - it all works! go hads!!!!

Unknown said...

I say any movement counts! My personal favorite is the sitting crawl where the baby uses her arms to drag her bottom half while in a sitting up position.

Sue said...

Megs - there is a new "mom and me" type place in kirkland that opened recently - we may have to go check it out - or have you been there already???

Anonymous said...

You would go and look it up!

Anonymous said...

I just saw Joc's comment....I'm just keepin it real someone's got to tell Hads the truth:)

Meg said...

Sue-Yes, lets totally go! I was bummed that the one in Issaquah closed. I'm free all week...kind of:).
Sar-You're hilarious. And you bet your ass I looked it up, I wasn't quite conviced it was a crawl either;). I'm sure my Pediatrician will agree with you and Hadley will get another ten lashings.

Laurie said...

maybe the 10 lashings will get her keister moving a little faster?