Tuesday, January 26, 2010

thank goodness for Zaide.

I came home from work the other night to THIS sitting on our coffee table. I looked at Ry and said "What in the hell is that monstrosity?" He replied "Hadley wore it home from your mom's today." "Was my mom mad at her?", I ask. And he laughed and said "No, they wore those hats to help them to find puddles." "Are you being serious, because I'm tired and had a long day and don't have the energy to fish for details?" He went back to his crossword puzzle..so I call my mom to get the low-down and make fun of her (because this is what I do people, I make fun) and she goes into all the pick-a-dillies of this little art project, and all the fun they had making their hats, and how much the girls loved it. And I continue to make fun of her, eat dinner, and go to bed.
The next morning Hadley wakes up and the very first thing she says to me is "Mama, did you see my puddle finding hat I made with Zaide?" We head immediately downstairs and she goes over what each and every little thing on the hat does and why exactly it helps her to find mud puddles. Probably one of the cutest things I've ever seen. Cute that she remembered what each item 'meant', cute that she truly believed it helped find mud puddles, and cutest of all that my mom always does the most crazy, most creative things with her grand-girls (stuff I would never in a million years do). She really is the grandma that dreams are made of. And nope, I still don't feel bad for making fun of her, but I sure do love her.

16 comments:

Susie said...

I want a puddle finding hat.
I'd also like a perfect hair cut hat, a hat for finding the right paint color, and a hat that makes me find my car keys.

Fabulous project. Fabulous.

Unknown said...

I love your mom! those girls are going to have such memories, none of which will include getting a dollar in a card ;)

Brooke said...

I just had my mom read that. We got choked up. We also just finished our 3rd bottle of wine. Love it. Your mom is one cool lady.

fiona westover said...

Did your mom do these things with you too? That Zaide is something else. What a way to enjoy being a grandparent.

Laurie said...

Zaids puts the 'grand' in grandma, love her to pieces. And no, she may not have done this with Megs. More likely to put Megan;s belongings in a trash bag.

Meg said...

Geeze Suz, if we're going that route...I want a big boobs hat, a million dollar finding hat, and a range rover with 22's hat (okay, now I've gone overboard).
Brookie, my 4th beer, no worries.

Meg said...

Lavs, no, you're absolutely right. This was never done with us.

Jocelyn said...

um... i don't believe that your daughter would go anywhere near a puddle... she wouldn't even step on the ground on sat. night when it was cleaned up spilt juice.
well, scratch that. i do believe your daughter could find a puddle. yes, she would be a great finder.. and i'm guessing madeline would be a great mess maker in the puddle. cute duo. and zaide? she's beyond great.

Val said...

I LOVE those hats. I really want to hear Hads tell me all about it because I can hear it my head and it is priceless. I can just hear her being so serious. BZ is one creative and fun lady! Oh and there isn't enough room on here for me to list the magic hats I'd like to have! Long long list!

Liz said...

I want, I want, I want, but I'd settle for a Zaide too. So sweet.

... said...

I like the Q-tips on the hat... whatever they for I'm sure the story is good. I'm jealous. Can B-Z be my grandma?

Bored Housewife said...

Grandma's are never the people who raised us. They're a completely different animal. We are just the wombs that allow the grandmas be together with the grandchildren and fulfill their destinies. Its great leverage if you ask me. My father likes to pick up my daughter from school once a week and take her to ice cream. Want to know many times he picked me up? 0. He couldn't even remember what grade I was in and probably wouldn't have been able to find the school. Yup, whole different animal...

Heather Conniff said...

Zaide is very fun, she's an awesome Zaide! Cute story. XOXO

zaideafraidey said...

gosh people I am tearing up. You are all correct, L absolutely I never took the time to hunt mud puddles, BH we didn't take afternoon sojourns for ice cream either...that is the beauty of gkids, dinner, the laundry, cleaning my car etc. are not my priority when I have the opportunity to be with my little ones. A parent does not have that kind of freedom. Not to worry all you young moms, you will get your turn, right now work on creating little ones who will want to give you that turn. Love you to pieces Meggie.

Laurie said...

well said Zaide! I want me some grandbabies sooo bad. Lucky I have the 4 hooligans to substitute until the real thing comes along.

Julie said...

Every kid needs a Zaide. Hell, for that matter, every grown up needs a Zaide to show them the way. So cool.