Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hadley free.

Since this blog is always about that kid, thought I'd share a fun little story about our happiest New Year. So, New Years Eve Ryan brought Hadley up to my folks at the cabin, while I was at work, so we could have a baby-free night. All was well, Hads was stoked to boss my parents around for the night and we were stoked to get our drink on without the inevitable two year old who seems to always sleep late when we don't want her to (lately it's been 8:30, doesn't she know I've got things to do) and gets up early when we feel as if we could die (those rare, rare nights we hit the sack after 2am...and she's chirping for juice at 6am). So thought we'd avoid all that, and send her away. And boy did it work in our favor. New Years Day we leisurely woke up at 9:30am after a night of shenanigans, and couldn't wait to pick up our babe. Thought we'd check the pass report before we headed over...and low and behold the pass was CLOSED. WHAT?!?! It was closed indefinitely for avalanche danger. And not only Snoqualmie Pass was closed, Steven's and Blewett Pass were closed too. This has only happened like one other time and it was a lot of years ago, so what were the chances. At first my heart was broken, but then my brain quickly figured out what this meant...FREEDOM. The freedom to not rush home for a nap in the middle of the day, the freedom to run ten thousand different errands if need be, the freedom to not watch my mouth (I swear a lot), the freedom to relax, the freedom to not answer 'what's that' and 'where's ____?' every five minutes, the freedom to not have to give someone time-outs for throwing their sippy cup (or anything for that matter) for the millionth time, the freedom to pee in privacy, the freedom to SHOP without rushing, getting sweaty, and stuffing high calorie, loaded with sugar, food in a toddlers face so I can just go to one more store, the freedom to really just do whatever the hell we wanted. And boy did we live it up! We went to breakfast with nearest, dearest friends, went to Alderwood Mall, Bellevue Square, and University Village, went to lunch, went to dinner, and capped the night off with a movie. But don't worry we fained utter remorse and sadness to my poor folks who were snowed in and without power...and playing hours and hours of 'house', 'hide and seek', and 'chase' with our darling bastard (only saying that because she was parent less, not because I think she is one) child.
Happy New Year to Us!

8 comments:

Laurie said...

FREEDOM, I can hear you two screaming it just like Mel G. in Braveheart. And I'm sure Z & B had a swell time, after all they had the kitchen set up there to play with.

malia said...

so jealous...let us know if your parents ever want another toddler to hang out with.

Unknown said...

Ohmigosh...what a great way to start off the new year.... It's the little simple things you miss when you have children, like going to a movie and shopping! Happy New Year to your family!!

Katie said...

glad you two got a free day! you deserve it! and you KNOW Zaide and Baba were loving their time with Miss Hads.

katy said...

You guys are too cute and have thee loveliest teeth! Also, so lucky to have a break. I am so jealous! MIss you tons! Happy new year! XOXO

Nicole said...

Words cannot describe the jealously that I have for you and Ryan and your day of freedom.

Val said...

Does sound like a great day except for the hungover part:) I'm sure Zaide and Baba loved it!

Hope said...

Hey - next time I see a report on possible pass closures, I'm calling the Davis' and requesting a cabin sitter. :) Sounds like a great kid-free way to start the New Year and I totally get it.