Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Songs of '08.

Okay kids, I have a fun little game for you all. A friend of mine at work introduced me to this idea, as she has been doing it for years. She makes a CD every December of songs that she loved/meant something to her/blah, blah in that particular year. And I think it's a GRAND idea. I am a sucker for mixed CD's and love when I throw an old one in the CD player and think 'why the hell would I have ever liked that song' (usually it's some gansta rap). I'm also someone who remembers all the feels, smells, and what-nots that old songs bring with them. For example, I will never again be able to listen to Ben Harper: 'Another Lonely Day' without thinking of Joc and a thousand road trips to Ellensburg from WSU in her teeny tiny Suzuki, belting it out at the top of our lungs and talking about our broken hearts. Picking up what I'm putting down? Now get to it and share with me your 2008 mixed tape (because really...who's doesn't love a mixed tape?).

Here are the rules:

-The songs do not have to be released in the particular year that you are making the CD...rather they are songs that have been discovered or rediscovered and have been particular meaningful or enjoyable or worth listening to that year for some reason.

-no repeats from year to year (this prevents the CD from being an all-time favorites album).

-you can include as many songs by one artist as you want.

-songs are limited to those that fit on a standard 80 minute CD.

MEG'S 2008 MIXED TAPE
(in no particular order)
1. Shut and let me go-The Ting Tings
2. Angel-Jack Johnson
3. New Soul-Yael Naim
4. I kissed a girl-Katy Perry
5. Forever-Chris Brown
6. Love Song-Sara Bareilles
7. White Moth-Xavier Rudd
8. You are the best thing-Ray LaMontagne
9. Be OK-Ingrid Michaelson
10. Shattered (turn the car around)-O.A.R
11. Disturbia-Rhianna
12. Shake it-Metro Station
13. Mercy-Duffy
14. Feels Good Inc.-Gorillaz
15. What's been going on-Amos Lee
16. Womanizer-Britney Spears
17. American Boy-Estelle featuring Kanye West
18. Anyone else but you-Moldy Peaches

*Amos is at the top for a little inspiration...and if he can't inspire you...well then, you're weird.

9 comments:

Jocelyn said...

totally picking up what you are putting down.
here it goes (after a quick call to u for specifics) & these are in order of what they mean to me.
1.you are the best thing & meg white- ray lamontagne
3.i'm yours- jason mraz
4.white moth- xavier rudd
5.pistaschio & i don't know -lisa hannigan
6. breakfree- dave mathews
7. shattered & crazy game of poker- O.A.R
8. forever- ben harper
9. one step closer to u- michael franti
10. viva la vida- coldplay
i can hear the suzuki samurai backfiring right now just thinking of ben harper and all our heartbreaks. let your husband know he was many parts of those conversations!

Laurie said...

I'm out on this one, bc 1. I only listen to NPR and 2. the only music station I listen to on Dishtv is songs from the 40s. So I'm pretty sure you people will have no idea what I'm talking about and will hate every song I like. It's sad to be so old.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Here are my picks. BTW, you crack me up Megs!
1. Never Think - Rob Pattinson
2. Brown Trout Blues - Johnny Flynn
3. Same Mistake - James Blunt
4. Chasing Pavements - Adele
5. Samson - Regina Spektor
6. I Caught Myself - Paramore
7. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
8. Love Story - Taylor Swift
9. In My Place - Coldplay
10. Mercy - Duffy
11. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
12. Single Ladies (put a ring on it) - Beyonce
13. If I Had Eyes - Jack Johnson
14. Come on Over - Jessica Simpson
15. Jackson - Johnny Cash & June Carter
16. Sexy Back - Justin Timberlake
17. Crawling - Linkin Park
18. New Soul-Yael Naim

Anonymous said...

i did it...oh wait you wouldn't know because you never check my blog! please upload hads video STAT! gbly

Sue said...

I'm thinking you got your love for Gangsta Rap from me after looking at my list!

Leona Lewis Bleeding Love (the Tate rendition)
John Mayer Good Bye My Lovah (the Tate rendition
Notorius B I G Big Pappa
Al Jarreau This Time
Al Jarreau Susan’s Song
Rolling Stones Brown Sugar
The Beatles I am a Walrus
Big Punisher Still Not a Player
The Beatles Rocky Raccoon
Elton John Benny and the Jets
The Kingsmen Louie, Louie
Sir Mix-A-Lot Big Butts
Arrested Development Mr. Wendall
Sugarhill Gang Rapper’s Delight
The Rigatones That’s Amore
Justin Timberlake Sexy Back

Meg said...

Great job people that played. I love you all best, and you two Lavs even if you're lame for your 40's music. Joc, you have a lot on there I don't know so I'll have to listen to what you've been hiding from me.
And Sue, you crack me up. Change your name to 'DeSusan'. Who knew you had so much color in you!? I love it!

Val said...

Love the idea, not sure when/if I'll find the time to do it, I'll add it to my list of things to do that aren't getting done:)

Sue said...

I have been corrected by Miss Tatum Narode that is "JAMES BLUNT, Grammy, that sings 'Good-Bye My Lovah'."